Something you may or may not know about me is that when I find a song I like, I play it on repeat. Many people over the years have suffered because of this. Roommates, children I have babysat, my parents, and the list goes on. When I truly love a song I have no problem listening to it ten times in a row. The song doesn't get old to me! (Not that day anyway)
A few songs I particularly remember listening to repetitively are:
Testify to Love by Avalon (around 6th grade in my Mom's Van)
How Can I Keep from Singing (Freshman Year Spring Semester in my dorm room)
Red High Heels (Sophomore Year of College in my car driving Kess around)
Anything Wicked (London Semester Abroad)
There are tons of others but this is just to show you that when I get on a kick with a song, I literally listen to it so many times that I vividly remember the time and place of the obsession.
Today the song I have literally been listening to all night is a combination of two songs. Seize the Day from the Newsies and Go the Distance from Hercules. Both of these songs were written by Alan Menken who also wrote the music for great Disney movies such as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, and most recently Enchanted. If you are familiar with any of these movies, you know the music is WONDERFUL.
Sometimes my obsession with songs is due to the meaning behind the song, or the message it portrays. Other times the obsession is simply due to the beauty of the music and my unrealistic desire to sing as beautifully as the musical theater majors at Elon singing in the video below.
The reason for this current obsession?
1. Love the arrangement. It's beautifully written, upbeat, and simply lifts my spirits
2. The meanings behind the two song are powerfully positive.
Seize the day simply talks about waking up and seizing each day without letting anyone or anything shake us. As things have been shaking me lately I love the concept that "we'll slay the giant if we're united."
Go the distance is from Hercules, but if you think about the lyrics with a heavenly perspective you can view it as dreaming of heaven which is the place where I am meant to be and where I will finally feel like I completely belong.
Some of the lyrics from the songs are listed below.
I would encourage you to click the link, listen to the whole song (Don't stop early) and let it encourage you as it has been continually encouraging me for the past couple of hours.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_8nFuqK-w
Open the gates and seize the day
Don't be afraid and don't delay
Nothing can shake us
No one can make us
Give our rights away
Arise and Seize the Day!
I have often dreamed of a far off place where a great warm welcome would be made for me
Crowds will cheer when they see my face and a voice keeps saying this is where I'm meant to be
Now is the time to seize the day
Send up the call and join the fray
Wrongs will be righted if we're united
Let us seize the day
Friends of the friends let's seize the day
Raise up the torch and light the way
Proud and defiant we'll slay the giant
Let us seize the day
I am on my way I can go the distance
Somehow I'll be strong
I know every mile will be worth my while
I wonder what song will be next?!
No comments:
Post a Comment