Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Where am I now?

It's been almost 8 months since I graduated from college. How far away it feels, yet it has only been 8 months. It hasn't even been a full year yet! 5 and a half months ago I moved to Raleigh. Almost exactly 5 months ago I started teaching 2nd grade. So much has happened in the past year and where am I now?

Today we had a snow day which left me with entirely too much time to be alone and think. For anyone who knows me well, left alone with my head for much time is never good because I'm overly analytical.

There have been lots of tears today and lots of time to think about too many things.

A couple of conversations with people today and I've really started thinking about where I am right NOW. Not where I was 8 or 5 months ago. Not where I will be in 8 or 5 months. But right now. Well...I'm 22, single, living alone. Okay. So to many people that might sound lame and pretty sad. Let me assure you there have been plenty of sad, 22, single, living alone moments. But today has got me thinking.

All day people have been telling me that there is something special about where I am right now (whether they knew it or not). One friend in a similar situation to me told me of her hopes for a summer trip to Spain. She was showing me what cool and exciting things she can do with her life right now.

Another friend in a serious relationship told me of the great things that come from her relationship but that she knew how hard it was being alone. She lovingly reassured me that my feelings were normal but went on to tell me that being in a relationship is hard too because then there is this other person you are always thinking about as you are going through life together.

The last friend I spoke to said, "I know it might be hard to see this now, but really, enjoy having all your time to yourself - to choose how you want to spend it. Do everything you possibly want to do. Really, I mean it. You will never have the freedom you do now."

It is clear to me that God has been calling out to me all day saying "My child... look at where you are in life right now and embrace it."

I'm only going to be 22 once. What do I want to do? Where do I want to go? What dreams do I have? What am I passionate about? What do I want to do with my life while I am single and have the chance. My prayer from here on out is that God will help me to fully embrace this stage of my life and that he will help me live it in such a way that I truly love it.

God did you hear that?

No comments:

Post a Comment