Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010- Becoming a grown up!?!

In the year 2010 I will officially become a grown up. I guess some will say I have been a grown up for a couple of years now but I beg to differ. Come August of this year I will financially be independent of my parents! YIKES. Insurance. Rent. Utilities. Cell Phone. Food. EVERYTHING will come from the income I hope to have. At that point I think I can finally call myself a grown up.

There are a few things I need to get in check before becoming a grown up (Not in order of importance):
1. Financial Health
2. Physical Health
3. Emotional Health
4. Spiritual Health


1. Financial Health- I think one of the scariest parts of becoming a grown up is the lack of financial security. What I need to work on throughout the upcoming months is being responsible with my money. I want to begin keeping track of what I spend my money on. Where is it going? Am I making pointless purchases? Or am I spending my money on worthwhile things? How will I do this?
- Keep receipts
- Record debits
- Use Credit card occassionally to build credit and pay it off EVERY month
- Use the spreadsheet from my Dad to help me realize where my money is going
- Give money to the church routinely
2. Physical Health- Well as this is the beginning of my adult life, I figure I should begin making adult decisions to begin building good habits. I don't want to find myself ten years down the line wishing I had made good choices and having to work super hard to get back to the healthy place I want to be. What does this look like for me?
-Going to the gym a couple of times a week (at least 3 times) to stay PHYSICALLY healthy. If I could view the gym as something that is healthy for my body instead of as a weight loss tool then I think I might enjoy it more.
-Making healthy eating choices. Staying away from pointless munching. Keeping a food journal?
-Sleeping enough (but not too much)
-Visiting many doctors visits that I have been putting off. All visits before MAY!
- I feel like I have to add "stop biting nails" but I really don't see that happening seeing as I am biting them currently inbetween typing.
3. Emotional Health- My emotions have always seemed to have way too much control over my life. My life "freak outs" and anxious moments need to significantly decrease in number. I know I spent a good amount of time working on this in counseling in the fall of 2007 but wow that was over 2 years ago now! As I am about to enter a stressful life transition (and change isn't my favorite) I need to have my emotions under as much control as possible! How am I going to do this?
-Possibly going back to counseling? Although I don't really want to since Annmarie moved to Wilmington and I don't want to start over with someone new. Also, I'm not sure anyone will meet my expectations seeing as Annmarie was fabulous. But I really need to get my body image issues and other insecurities under control before entering the adult world.
-Journaling more. Through the good and the bad moments! This really seems to help me and I need to take advantage of it more.
- Simply letting things go and focusing on the important things.
4. Spiritual Health- When things are right with God... all other things seem to fall into place. As so many things in my life are about to change in 2o10, the one thing that won't change is my God and my relationship with Him. Therefore it is my expert opinion to think that I should spend a lot of time focusing on my relationship with Him. Some of my goals?
-Daily Time with him in some shape or form
-Working to be more aware of his presence constantly
-Keeping him in the center of all of my words/thoughts/actions

I don't think I can say these are New Year's Resolutions, because I know these are lofty goals, and I will fail. However I would like to say that these are some things I would like to work towards as this year begins. I simply feel strongly that I have a lot of growing up to do over the next 4 and a half months before graduation.

Dear Lord help me...

No comments:

Post a Comment