Can someone explain to me why it's 10:50 on the Sunday night after city meet, and I am still up writing on the computer?
I think it's because I know that once I go to bed... swim team is really going to be over for 2009. I am tempted to say that this summer has been my favorite one so far as a swim coach and this summer was year # 6.
Why was this summer any better than number 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5? I'm not quite sure. I think for the first time I truly began to feel confident in what I was doing. I was able (eventually) to run the computer successfully, and manage the various aspects of the team, without needing too much help from others.
Secondly, I began to realize how much I have learned from the sport as a swimmer and as a coach. As a swimmer I learned lessons on dedication, determination, and motivation. These lessons were just amongst the many that I learned during my 10 or so years of year round swimming. As a coach I have begun to learn how to effectively work with children and parents, which is a skill in the long run I am going to need to master.
I have become very attached to the kids on my elks team. Many of these kids I have known since I was a swimmer there about ten years ago. For the rest of them, this is now my 4th summer with them, and I have realized how much I truly care for these kids. I want them to be successful in and out of the water. I want to do all in my power to be a positive influence in their life.
The coaches this summer have been amazing to work with. Chris, Taylor, Morgan, Mindy, Brooke, Aaron, and Lauren (In order from oldest to youngest) have brightened my summer. With all of my High School friends being away this summer, I was so concerned about being lonely. These 7 people have kept me laughing, and have been there for me as I've gotten frustrated, sad, angry, lonely, confused, happy, excited, nervous.. etc. These 7 have been my support system and for them I am forever greatful.
We just completed our season last night. We had 3 full days of swimming, and at the end of it all we got 8th at the shark meet, and 6th at the championship meet. After loosing all 5 of our dual meets, this was a much needed boost of encouragement. Mindy and Brooke spent the entire week with me as we prepared for and then had the city meet. My parents were at the beach and having them with me kept me sane. At city meet there were tears over bad races, cheers over good ones, and anxiety as kids dove in the water. Not to mention there was a HORRIBLE thunder storm which we waited out under our huge tent with metal posts. It was a memory the kids will probably have for a long time.
A few highlights from this week/meet.
1. Having my house turned into the Elks Swim Team Head Quarters (Ethan, Aaron, Lauren, Morgan and I finishing meet stuff from Hamilton Lakes, working on ribbons, creating posters for city meet, etc)
2. Sleepovers with Mindy, Brooke, and Maddie ALL week long.
3. LADIES its 5:40!!
4. The PARADE! Our theme was Peace, Love, and Swimming. The kids were all dressed like hippies and we had this awesome hippie bus that we carried in front.
5. Caitlin breaking the 13-14 50 Breast Stroke Record when she just turned 13 last week!
6. Relays medaling.
7. Cheering as loud and as passionately as possible.
8. Getting 6th place over all.
9. Peyton- "Coach Laura... I accidentaly put a dollar in a CIGARETTE machine"
10. Seeing Alexa ( a girl from my old team ) talking to her for a while, and then having her walk away and explain to her friend that I was her "old coach"
As I'm sitting here.. exhausted and without a voice.. I am truly sad it is over. I will absolutely say that there have been MANY stressful moments this summer, and even a few where I wished I wasn't doing this again, but the good moments outweigh the bad by 100%. I am going to miss so many things. I am going to miss opening the pool every morning between 8:30 and 8:40 with Brooke. I am going to miss driving to swim meets with Aaron in the car driving me CRAZY, but loving every second of it. I am going to miss Taylor and his hilarious ways of coaching children, and his demonstration of activating your core in a flip turn. I am going to miss planning with Morgan for our swim for cancer event, which was the most successful we have ever had. I am going to miss long chats with Mindy when I'm frustrated beyond belief. I am going to miss all the moments with my apprentice Lauren including lasagna making, shopping, boy talk, etc. I am beyond a doubt going to miss the hours of laughing that I can give all credit to my co-head coach Chris. That boy has the ability to make me laugh like no one else. Staying up till all hours of the night working on swim team stuff is only fun when Chris is there to keep me smiling. I am going to miss little Lea walking into the pool and saying "Hi Coach Laura" with her sweet little voice that can't quite pronounce Laura correctly. I am going to miss the parents who encourage me, and the parents that have taught me lessons about life in positive and negative ways. All in all, I'm going to miss the people. I'm already planning an Elks Swim Team Christmas party so that I can be reunited with all of these people again before next June.
In case you haven't caught me drift yet, I am going to miss summer swimming at the Elks. Luckily I think I will get to see my coaches tomorrow to work on awards, and then again next Sunday at the banquet. I think this post will do me good in the long run. Next summer, when I'm worried that coaching the team will be too stressful, hopefully I can return to this post and remember what a special place this team holds in my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment