Monday, July 27, 2009

Virginia Beach

Friday my Dad, brother, and I traveled to VA Beach for Greg to play in a national soccer championship tournament!

My Mom was half right in saying that my motivation for coming along on this trip was the opportunity to eat out for almost every meal! Eating out always has been, and always will be, one of my favorite things to do! 2

Regardless of the reasons behind my desire to come, we set out on Friday to journey to VA Beach. Greg and I spent a lot of time arguing with each other to begin with, but finally things began to calm down. We ate at Subway, and settled into our hotel.

Saturday morning was the first game, 9:00. The boys won 2-1 :) YAY We needed to win 2 of the 3 games to make it to the championship. We spent some time at lunch with the team, and then headed back to watch the '92 team play. This is Greg's old team, so it was nice to cheer on all his best buddies. Later that evening we went to Loganns for dinner (another one of my favorites)

Sunday morning we had another game at 9:00. The boys lost 2-1. We should have tied 1-1, but the ref made a bad call giving the other team a Penalty Kick, which ultimately decided the outcome of the game. It was a hard loss, but this team had won their game on Saturday 5-1, so holding them 2-1 (when it should have been 1-1) was quite an accomplishment. After the game we headed to the beach with some of Greg's friends for a couple of hours. After a few relaxing hours away, we returned and headed to dinner with the team at the mall. The boys ate in the food court and the parents ( and me and the coaches little girl Ryann ) ate at Chilis.

Sweet moment- So My Dad, another dad and myself were all on the elevator with this sweet little boy. My Dad being the overly chatty man that he is struck up a conversation with this little boy. The little boys eyes got real big and he quickly began shaking his head no. I realized he wasn't going to answer my Dad, so I said " Dad, he isn't going to talk to you because you are a stranger." The little boy then began quickly shaking his head yes. It was clear that he had been instructed not to talk to anyone on his elevator ride. My DAD continued talking and explained to the young man that I was a teacher so I was safe to talk to. I told him that I was going to be teaching 2nd grade in the fall. He sweetly put his index finger up in front of his face and I asked him if he was going to be in 1st grade, to which he quickly nodded his head yes. It was a precious moment, with a precious little boy. Made me smile :) A nice change from the 15 year old boys I am surrounded by at this tournament!

Today we got to sleep in because our game wasn't until 12:30. We won today 3-1! YAY we are in the national championship tomorrow! The game today was nasty though. The other team received two red cards, after both boys (at various times) cussed at the ref and dropped the "F" word multiple times. The way they were acting was really embarassing. The boys kept their composure really well though, and I was proud of the way they acted. In one of my children ever acted the way those 2 did today, I would have kicked them off the fields myself. Seriously. I wonder what their parents were thinking. Back to Ruby Tuesday's we went again. Since then I went running, showered, and spent some time packing.

I think I will spend the next 2 hours watching the Bachelorette. Lights out, which is determined by the coach, is 9:45 tonight because the boys have to be at breakfast at 5:45 in the morning. ICK. The championship game is at 8:00! Let's go Jammers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment