I love lists.
I love getting things done.
I love being productive.
I love feeling as if I have accomplished things during the day.
I hate sitting still.
I hate disorganization.
I hate doing nothing.
I hate feeling as if the day has had no purpose to it.
Because of all of these things. I am constantly working on something. I am continually completing tasks and checking them off my list.
My list today included:
-Breakfast with Dad and Grammy
-Deal with forms at doctors office
-Notarize Application
-Haircut
-Deposit Money
-Email about Teaching Fellows Project
-Get dress measurements for Lisa's wedding
I have marked each one of these things off of my list and it is only 2:35 in the afternoon. Of course there are other things on my general life to do list, but this was specifically for this morning. Each of these things dealt with a different area of my life: social, health, personal, academic. Therefore my mind in this moment is all over the place. I am having trouble just sitting. I feel like I need something to do. Unfortunately the next thing on my list is my brother's tennis match at 4:30.
My roommate Natalie told me a couple of weeks ago that is okay to not do anything at all. Those words to me were like a revelation! She was telling me that it was okay, and even a good thing, to just relax, and just be.
As the last leg of my college career is now before me I really need to work on just enjoying the things around me. For example right now my Grandmother is here, and my Dad is home. I should be okay just sitting with them and enjoying their company. But instead I am all over the place trying to "get things done". My life is not so important that I need to be focused on the things. I need to be focused on the people.
Phew. Okay. I'm gonna take a few deep breaths and just enjoy being in the presence of my 90 year old Grammy sleeping across the room. I think I am going to put the lists away. (Until tomorrow anyway)
No comments:
Post a Comment