Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Identity

A beautiful young lady spoke at InterVarsity tonight. I've known Sarah for almost three years now, and I was excited to hear her speak her heart to our chapter. She began her talk by having us introduce ourselves to the person sitting beside us. She recognized that more than likely we knew the people we were sitting with, but the point was to see what types of things we introduced ourselves with.

Below is my introduction to you... the reader.

"Hi my name is Laura, I'm a senior elementary education major from North Carolina. I love musicals and coaching swimming. I'm known for being overly busy, even though this fact has majorly changed this semester. I'm in a sorority, and served on the exec board my junior year. I was an orientation leader and spent the next year working for New Student Orientation Head Staff. I studied abroad for a semester in London England, and traveled all over Europe. Since then I've been to Mexico and Spain for vacation with one of my roommates. I will soon be leaving for my first ever cruise and my first trip to the Bahamas. I have a wonderful family and a great group of friends from high school and from college."

Those kinds of things might come up in an introductory conversation with someone. This in turn would be sort of my identity statement to them. All of those things answer the question, 'who am I?' Notice however, God is never mentioned. Wouldn't it be cool to introduce myself as Laura, a daughter of Christ? This should be my identity... yet we place our identities on anything other than Him. Over the years I have tried to find my identity in a number of those things.

I have tried to find my identity in:
My Major
Swimmimng
My Image
Head Staff
InterVarsity
Friends
Familiy
Experiences
Being liked
My Looks
Boyfriends (or lack there of)
Success
Involvement
Busyness


I'm asking God to search my heart and show me where I am placing my identity. The pastor at one of the churches I attend says that sin is placing your identity in anything other than God. I do that ALL. THE. TIME.

When I look in a mirror, or when someone looks at me, I don't want them to see those things first. I don't want my first thoughts about myself or their first thoughts about me to be that I'm an education major, or an involved person, or someone with great friends.

I want my identity to be defined by God. When I look in a mirror, I want to see God. I want others to see Christ in me. I want Him to be my identity.


"Mirror I am seeing a new reflection. I'm looking into the eyes of He who made me. And to him I have beauty compare. I know He defines me."- Barlow Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment