The other day while driving home from the grocery store my good friend and I struck up a conversation about fear. I would have to say that fear is not a word talked about often in everyday situations. Fear is personal, fear is scary, and fear isn't particularly easy to think about much less discuss with another person.
Let me be the first to tell you I fear a lot of things in life. Do these fears control me or dictate my actions? No... but they are real none the less. Some of my fears are ridiculous, while others are more deeply seeded and valid in my opinion.
Here is an example of something ridiculous that i'm "scared" of: I hate sticky things like tape, bandaids, stickers, etc on my body. I wouldn't say that I'm truly scared of them but my friends always grew up saying, "Laura is scared of sticky things." After writing about that it sounds ridiculous, so let's move on.
If I'm completely honest with myself and with you the reader, I'm scared of bigger things such as being alone forever, and death. I fear never finding someone to spend my life with. I fear loneliness.
Death is a fear because I'm scared of missing out on life, or missing sharing it with someone. Furthermore I'm scared of what life after death is like. I'm a Christian so I know what I believe about life after death, but no one really knows what it is like. The control freak in me fears the unknown.
As I sit on the edge of a major life change with major unknowns in my future, you can guess the level of fear and anxiety I might be feeling. Don't get me wrong... I'm excited, yet fear always lingers.
No comments:
Post a Comment